Crispy squid is one of life’s greatest pleasures. There is nothing worse that the disappointment of mistaking an onion ring for this ultimate treat. For us it’s a dish that feels like holiday, the sun shining fresh squid and lots of lemon.
This version has a spicy, thick and crispy coating around and is garnished with lime zest and chilli. We actually used the leftover batter from our fish tacos for this, just adding in more spices, so it’s a great dinner party combination. Tuck in!
Timings: 20 minutes
- 3 squid cleaned and gutted. Squid is much more tender if it is frozen first so don’t assume that frozen isn’t as good as fresh!
- 50g flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 150 ml beer (a light lager works best)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 50ml milk
- 1 lime
- 100g natural yoghurt
- 50g cucumber
- Handful of mint
- Heat a saucepan with vegetable oil to a heat of 180c
- Whilst this comes to heat cut up the squid to rings and bite sized portions
- Mix together the flour, beer, paprika, chilli flakes, salt and pepper into a smooth batter
- Place the milk into a small bowl and put the squid into it before dipping into the batter
- Place the squid into the oil and fry in batches until golden brown (2-3 minutes)
- Whilst they cook make up your yoghurt dip by finely chopping the cucumber and mint and mixing through the yoghurt.
- Once cooked sprinkle the squid with the zest of 1 lime and a few more chilli flakes