This is a super healthy dinner, that Gemma often adapts (only having a small portion of rice) when she is doing a 5:2 day (to balance out all of the Gills cooking days!).
Ingredients: (serves 1)
Timings: 30 mins
- 1 salmon fillet
- Brown rice
- Miso sachet
- Thumb of ginger
- Garlic clove
- Half a red chilli
- Handful of kale
- Handful of dried shiitake mushrooms
- Red onions
- Sesame oil
- Teaspoon of sugar
- White wine vinegar
- Finely slice the red onion into rings and place into a bowl
- Heat up enough white wine vinegar to cover the onions, adding the salt and sugar. Don’t bring to the boil you just want it quick enough to kick start the pickling. Add the vinegar to the onion bowl and cover with clingfilm until needed.
- Cook the brown rice according to instructions.
- Whilst the rice cooks, take the shittake mushrooms and add to a saucepan along with the miso sachet and hot water. Finely chop the garlic, ginger and chilli and add to the broth. Keep on a medium heat until needed.
- Once the rice is done pan fry (or steam if on a 5:2 day) the salmon fillet for around 5 minutes (or a little less if you like it rare), leave to rest.
- Quickly add the kale to the pan you fried the salmon in with a little sesame oil (again if on 5:2 day you can steam the kale).
- Time to serve – best done if you add the rice, kale and broth before placing the pickled red onion on top.