As you have probably guessed by now, we are big fans of Mexican food (see our Breddos Tacos review and our fish tacos recipe for proof). These Fish Tortilla Cups have several of our favourite ingredients – guacamole, chilli, sriracha and of course good quality fish.
These are great canapes to serve up at a party (as we did) as they are self contained and save you the washing up! They look pretty on the table and give the impression that you have been in the kitchen for ages but are actually simple to pull together (but don’t tell your guests that).
We have used smoked haddock in the recipe but you can substitute for any white fish – pollock, ling and cod would work well also. It’s a good way of using up any leftover fish you might have from another recipe.
Crispy tortillas, smoky fish, guacamole and fresh salad and lashings of sriracha of course. If you are short on time you can use pre made tortillas but we prefer to make our own. We invested in a tortilla press from Amazon (only right considering how much we make them) and they work so well with minimum effort. Once you try shop bought will be hard to return to, however if you are stuck for time you can substitute for ready made small tortillas in this recipe. Just skip to step 3.
Ingredients (makes 8 cups):
For the filling:
- 200g smoked haddock
- Cornish Sea Salt Fiery Sea Pepper (optional)
- 2 avocados
- 1 lime
- Half a red onion
- 8 cherry toms
- 1 gem lettuce shredded
- Chilli flakes
- Sriracha to serve
- Tablespoon of flour
- Olive oil – to cook the fish and glaze the tortillas
For the tortillas:
- 200g self raising flour
- 150ml warm water
- 1 tbsp of olive oil
- Pinch of salt
- Start off by making the tortilla cups. Mix the four ingredients into a ball and then knead for around five minutes.
- Divide into 8. Now you can either use the tortilla press (which makes this process super easy) or use a rolling pin to roll out the dough to around the depth of a 50p piece.
- Preheat the oven to 200c and place a cupcake tray inside (upside down) for 5 minutes.
- Remove and then place the dough on the rounds of the tray and then place into the oven for around five minutes. Once cooked remove from the tray and then cook on its own for around two minutes to get some colour.
- Once removed use a pastry brush to oil the tortillas for some extra colour and crispiness. You will end up with tortilla cups!
- Place to one side whilst you prepare the other ingredients.
- Cut the fish into slices about half an inch thick. Place into the flour so they have a dusting.
- Add to a hot pan with a little oil and the chilli flakes. Cook for about two minutes each side until golden brown.
- Remove and set onto kitchen paper to drain the oil.
- Make the guacamole by mashing the avocado and adding diced red onion. Add a pinch of salt and the juice of one lime.
- Shred the lettuce and quarter the tomatoes.
- Assemble your cups by placing lettuce in the bottom, then the guacamole on top. Add the fish and the tomatoes and add some more chilli flakes on top. We always add sriracha to ours and we also added Cornish Sea Salt Fiery Sea Pepper as we are big fans!