Breakfast doesn’t get better than this. True fact. Cure your trout overnight using the recipe here and then treat yourself to the breakfast of Queens. This is a really nice alternative to salmon and scrambled egg and is far more sustainable. If you’re cooking for guests they are bound to impressed by your home cured trout as well.
Good croissants are really important for this recipe, don’t scrimp out on those sad flat ones you get in packets. We got ours in our delivery from The Very Green Grocer. Go fresh and get yourself to a good bakery. This breakfast looks fancy but actually takes very little time to pull together. Set yourself up for the weekend with a brunch that oozes luxury.
Ingredients (makes 2):
- 2 medium croissants
- 1 tsp of truffle oil
- 6 eggs
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to season
- small knob of unsalted butter
- 100g cured rainbow trout thinly sliced
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, oil and seasoning. You want to get lots of air into it.
- Add the butter to a non-stick pan and on a medium/low heat melt the butter and then add the eggs
- We like to use a silicone ended spatula with eggs as it’s soft on the pan and easier to get egg residue. Leave the eggs for 30 seconds and then fold the eggs in on themselves, do this every 30 seconds or so until the egg reaches your preferred consistency.
- If you like toasted croissant now is the time. Slice your croissant in half and either toast it or plate it up ready for the eggs.
- Pile the scrambled egg into the croissant, top with the slices of trout and season with a little more black pepper.
- Tuck in!