This is the ultimate brunch, indulgent, filling and packed with lots of flavour. The key is to not overcook the omelette so it is still soft and just set.
Smoked salmon and avocado are regulars in a weekend breakfast, but this would also make a lovely summer nights dinner (we love a bit of brinner).
Ingredients (serves 1):
- 3 eggs
- Salt and pepper to season
- Half an avocado
- 50g smoked salmon
- tablespoon of cream cheese
- Zest of 1/2 a lemon
- Teaspoon of butter
- Heat a frying pan (around 15cm with a ridge of about an inch) on a medium heat and add the butter.
- Whisk the eggs in a separate bowl and add a pinch of salt and pepper to season.
- Add to the pan and leave to cook for around three minutes. Run a spatula around the edge of the omelette to check it isn’t sticking to the pan. Lifting the omelette carefully from underneath also allows some of the raw egg from on top to come to the sides and fall on to the pan. This will then cook through.
- Whilst the omelette cooks mix a tablespoon of cream cheese with a pinch of black pepper and add the zest of half a lemon. This adds a lovely freshness to the omelette and it is worth making this extra step rather than just using cream cheese straight from the tub.
- Peel and chop half an avocado, and also chop the smoked salmon into small strips.
- Check that the omelette is just set by moving the pan and seeing if the egg moves around the pan. If so place back for another minute or so. Don’t be tempted to turn the heat up as this is how you will get a burnt, dry omelette and its much better to slow cook.
- Once the omelette is cooked add the cream cheese mix on top. Spread across the top then arrange the avocado and smoked salmon on top of this.
- Fold the omelette into a half moon like shape and serve.