Mac and cheese is one of life’s greatest pleasures and the ultimate comfort food. Here we have given it a Gills twist and combined crab with the classic dish. Using the brown crab meat adds richness to the sauce, with the meaty white crab on top of the mac with crispy breadcrumbs.
Once you master the white sauce you realise how easy it is – don’t be tempted by a jar of it instead. It’s a kitchen staple that once you master can use in a whole host of recipes.
Ingredients (serves 2):
- 1 dressed crab (brown in the sauce, white on top)
- 250g Macaroni
- 300ml Milk
- Tablespoon Butter
- 100g Cheddar
- Level tablespoon of Flour
- ½ a ball of Mozzarella
- 50g breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 200C.
- Cook the macaroni according to packet instructions whilst you make the sauce.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Once melted add the flour and whisk together gently with the butter.
- Microwave, or heat the milk in a pan, until warm (about 90 seconds in a microwave).
- Whisk the milk into the sauce. The sauce will start to thicken after a few minutes.
- The sauce should be thick enough to coat the back of a spoon but thin enough to stir through the pasta that it coats each piece. This should take around 10 minutes. If the sauce is too thick add a little more milk, if too thin then a bit of flour. If its flour you need to add stir it through a bit of milk first and add that mixture so that you don’t get lumps.
- Once you are happy with the consistency turn down the heat to low and grate in the mozzarella and the cheddar and stir.
- When the cheese is melted add the brown crab meat and stir through. Season to taste.
- Mix the pasta into the sauce until each piece is covered. Place into an oven dish.
- Top with the white crab meat and the breadcrumbs.
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown.