Smoked mackerel wrap is a fresh and delicious lunch. The minty yoghurt cuts through the oil of the mackerel making this dish taste light whilst filling you up. You can fill it with whatever salad you like, but we’ve kept our mix simple. You could try olives and feta for a Greek twist.
All the ingredients in this list should be available at most major supermarkets (we hit up Tesco for this one). Whilst we love to support our local greengrocers and fishmongers this isn’t possible for everyone’s busy lifestyles, so we wanted to create a recipe that we know should be easy to get your hands on. Whats more with the average pack of mackerel coming to just short of £2 this is cheap and tasty with the health benefits of oily fish. If you really want to keep costs low tinned mackerel would be just as great for this and if you’re not a fan of this delicious fish, and we urge you to give it a go, flaked salmon or tuna would be delicious as well.
Smoked Mackerel wrap for two
Ingredients: makes two wraps
- 2 x wholwheat tortilla
- 130g fillets smoked mackerel skin removed
- 1/2 cucumber cut into batons
- half a pepper but into strips
- 10 cherry toms halved
- handful of greens (we used watercress)
Mint yoghurt dip (you will have extra)
- 50ml pot natural yoghurts
- 4 sprigs of mint remove the leaves and finely chop
- squeeze half a lemon
- 1tsp of smoked paprika
- Start by making the mint yoghurt. Add all the ingredients to a bowl, mix and then season to taste.
- Place the wrap on the worktop and spread the yoghurt mixture on one half on the wrap, leaving an inch border from the edge.
- Now add your fillings down the middle of the wrap. Make sure you don’t overfill it. We’ve suggested some above, but you can be as inventive as you like.
- Once the ingredients are in fold the wrap like a burrito. Check out the illustration below for tips on how to do this.
- Either cut the wrap and eat it there and then, or wrap it in foil ready for work.